Monday, September 15, 2008

The Crying Game (1992)

The Crying GameSTARRING:
Forest Whitaker
Stephen Rea
Jaye Davidson
Miranda Richardson
Breffni McKenna

PLOT:
A British soldier gets kidnapped by the IRA, who hold him for ransom hoping to exchange him for one of their own. He befriends one of his captors who promises to take care of his girlfriend after his death.

MY TAKE:
Back in 1992 I was still too conservative to watch this movie but when I saw it on the shelf at the library a few days ago I decided it was time to find out what all the fuss had been about. All these years I have been missing out on this little gender-bending gem!

I already knew enough about the story to not be fooled by Jaye Davidson in a dress so the one nude scene didn't surprise me. The rest of the story, however . . . now that did surprise me. I was not expecting to actually like this movie I was just trying to be more liberal in my film choices. This is one choice I'm glad I made.

There was no actual sex in this movie, aside from an off-screen BJ, but there was one brief moment of full frontal nudity. And the very androgynous Davidson is just plain fun to watch (sci-fi fans will remember him as Ra, the sun god in Stargate).

MY RATING: 10/10

IMDb page

1 comment:

Gingerbread said...

By His Noodliness, I am glad I have stumbled upon your movie review blog. I am ace and I LOVE reading movie reviews. In fact, I read a review (or a few) of any movie before I watch it... helps to warn myself in case there's something I just don't want to see...

I loved The Crying Game as well and so chose to leave my comment here. I see that you have also discovered Lars and the Real Girl... if you like movies that portray unconventional relationships (the ones that don't suddenly lead to sex for no reason), may I humbly suggest Into the Wild.

It's not actually about relationships, strictly speaking, there is nothing romantic there. But I wasn't really talking about that anyway, but rather, on exploring oneself through our links to others... that to me pretty much sums up any kind of relationship.

P.S. The portrayal of sex in a movie is absolutely fine. I enjoyed watching Perfume. It's when the sex is unnecessary that pisses me off. Fan service pretty much pisses me off anyway.